Monday, March 24, 2014

When Will It Stop?

31 weeks

Baby's room is in the works.  We were given a gorgeous crib, and the baby's room has been painted.  Steve's going to start working on the Winnie The Pooh mural soon, like he did Transformers for Steven.  I think he needs to repaint the girls' room and put a mural in there too… hint hint!

My weekly shots are on Tuesdays, and it ended up being a snow day for the kids this week (again).  Steve also happened to be off, and I was working from home anyway, so it was rather peaceful.  Until around 4pm.  That's when the contractions started.  I wasn't due for another Procardia until 5:30, but boy these were getting bad.  I tried to eat dinner, knowing my nurse was on her way.

I took my pill and laid down on the couch and waiting.  And I started timing them.  I've tried a few contraction timer apps, I've found that Contraction Timer by iBirth  is fairly easy to use (though there's still opportunity for user error/double tapping that screws up the averages).  I love that it also has the history saved.  



Kate arrived, and I was still in pain.  Steve answered the door and gave her an update.  She was really concerned.  She went through her assessment, gave me my shot, and sat and observed me for a few minutes.  What concerned her the most was that the contractions, which usually had only been upper-to-middle belly, were painful a bit lower and in the back.   She told Steve that if this continues for another hour, to take me in.  

After about 45 minutes, Steve called the doctor on call.  I would have just gone in, but I kinda wanted to know who was on duty that night… and it was the doctor from last Sunday.  She remembered me, and told my husband that unless my water breaks, because the fetal fibernecton was negative, I'm not in labor and to just stay home.  I. Was. Not. Happy.  But at the same time, I didn't want to deal with her. 

I stayed up watching Doctor Who all night.  The pain level of the contractions went down to a more "manageable" level, but the frequency was still there.  I don't think I slept at all that night.  And the contractions continued throughout the day.  I was taking my Procardia every 4 hours, on the dot, but it wasn't enough.  After about 2 hours the intensity increased.  

I called my doctor, she squeezed me in for another fetal fibernecton.  I told her about my phone call last night, and she apologized.  She said sometime the other doctors just aren't on the same page about patients, and the treatments get messed up.  She told me, and put in my file, that if I go back in again (and she can't be reached) to make sure I get another steroid shot.  She also told me I could increase the Procardia to every 3 hours for the next day or so.  

The test, thankfully, came back negative again.  But she said that there is alway a chance that something can change, and while the test is 'good' for 2 weeks, by my visit next Wednesday we could find that my cervix is thinning again and well… At least I'll be at 32 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment