Thursday, December 26, 2013

Water Weight & Extreme Fatigue

12 Weeks...

We were really hoping to only have the IV for a couple of weeks.

After 2 weeks, there was no way Bridget was going to let me off them.  I was still getting sick several times a day.

I began to eat one small meal a day, in addition to my Herbalife Monster Cookie Shake at New-Trition for breakfast: Mashed potatoes.  And not even made from russet or yukon golds... no powdered dehydrated mashed potatoes.  Seriously.  And I became kind of 'brand specific".  Idahoan, to be specific.  They were the only brand that tasted 'good' and would actually stay in my belly.

Life with an IV isn't pleasant.  You have this thing in your arm, all day every day.  And you get this backpack.  It's not attractive, so you can't really pass it off as anything but what it is.  And it's heavy!  The 4L bag weighed about 20 lbs, and after 2 weeks I was decreased to 3L, in hopes I would feel the need to drink more.  The 3L bag weighs about 15 lbs.  And you have to carry it with you wherever you go!



I adjusted my schedule so I changed the IV at night, so it wouldn't be as heavy during the day.   But here's the thing about having 3L of fluids pumped in your system everyday: in addition to the trips to the ladies room to get sick, you have to empty your bladder a dozen times a day too.  Imagine getting up at 3AM to go potty, and having to carry a 15 lb backpack with you... seriously.  Try it sometime you have to get up in the middle of the night - carry two 8 lb bowling balls in a bag and then tell me "It's no big deal."

The fluids helped me make sure the baby was OK, but there was still plenty of fear and doubt that baby was OK.  Then there's the guilt about taking care of the rest of your family.  I was so sick that I had no strength to do anything.  Making dinner was hard for me to do.  I was thankful for my husband, and the care that he gave me, us.  But there were nights that he'd work late, and I'd be on my own to make dinner.  It was hard.  There were plenty of nights where all they had were PB&J and fruit.

I was so thankful for our friend Jenn making us dinner.  Though I wasn't able to eat it, my kids did.  And there was plenty for dinner the next night, too.  We hadn't even asked for help, she just went out of her way to help us out.  We are so thankful.

One thing that I'd encourage any mom dealing with HG to do, is not be afraid to ask for help, and don't be embarrassed when it's offered.  You are growing a person!  And you will occasionally need help.  So if someone offers, accept.


No comments:

Post a Comment