Thursday, January 2, 2014

Firsts for the kids

14 weeks...

Yuppers... welcome to week 4 on the IV!

It's gone from an annoyance to just a part of life.

At this point, all our immediate families know... We were timid about it, not really sure how everyone would handle it.  Especially the IV situation.

The kids had a day off school, and I happened to schedule my 14 week appointment for that day.  So my husband and I brought the kids with us to hear the baby's heartbeat.

Usually, my doctor is pretty steady with getting their patients in.  I arrived, checked in, gave my urine sample like every visit, and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  It was 90 minutes before I was called in to the examine room.  My weight went up, but it was all water weight from the last 90 minutes of just sitting.  We checked again after a potty break - only a 2 lb increase from my last visit.  Still under my pre-pregnancy weight.  Yay.  :-(

It was such a great moment for my husband and I to hear that baby's heartbeat, knowing that baby is ok.  And it was great for our kids to hear it too.  We hadn't really come right out and told our 5 year old son that I was pregnant, but we'd been prepping him.  After the heartbeat was echoing in the room, we told him.  The most priceless moment was him saying "I want a baby brother."  It didn't even seem to bother him that he wasn't going to be the baby any more.

I began to feel movements around 15 weeks.  It was subtle, but as it is the 4th time around, I knew what  to be "looking" for.  I know my kids were eager to feel the baby, and would say that they could feel it, but I wasn't quite sure that they did.  Either way, they developed a connection to the baby.

2 comments:

  1. Hello fellow HG-er: you are doing an amazing job. I really do understand a lot of what you are going through. I'm on Zofran, Meclizine and Phrenergan and while the nausea is always there, I'm able to avoid puking every other day or so. So sorry you have to have a PICC line. Glad baby is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you're dealing with it as well. Hoping things continue to improve for you!

    ReplyDelete