Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What To Expect Right After You've Delivered

That first moment you see and hold your new baby is beautiful: that face, those eyes, the tiny hands.  

However, there is so much more that goes on, and not too many people will tell a soon-to-be mom, so the whole ordeal is a shocking experience, and she can't focus on the important moments.

So, I'll tell it straight.

There are a bunch of strange people in the room, modesty is thrown out the window.  Sorry, get use to if for the time you're in the hospital.  

As adorable as the baby is, it’s kinda slimy.  Unlike when my other kids were born, they don’t take the baby and wash it right away.  I was able to hold Liam for a while after delivery, and then they did measurements, but did not clean him.  He didn’t get a bath until he was almost 4 hours old... some new procedure to encourage bonding and breast feeding.  Which I appreciated, but really, they couldn’t wipe him down a little bit more?  


After delivery, there is pain.  I found the post delivery cramps worse than contractions.  I mean, a lot worse. When I had my other kids, self medicating was how pain was managed after delivery.  They gave you tiny bottles of Tylenol and Motrin and told you to take one every 2 hours, alternating.  This time around, you had to ask the nurse for your meds, then they’d have to call down to pharmacy and then give them.  I almost asked my husband to just bring me some from home!  And those diaper ice-packs are stupid.  Ask the nurse to put the maxi's in the freezer for you.  Trust me - just do it.  

Then there are the nurses.  The first day they came in and checked on me every hour.  Which is fine, but at 2 in the morning when the baby is finally asleep… can't a new mom get some rest?

Now it seems procedure to get the moms discharged and home after 24 hours.  My insurance gives me 2 nights, I'm taking it!  The nurses were trying to convince me to go the next morning, but I was waiting for my son's 'procedure' to be done, and that didn't happen until late afternoon the next day, and I wasn't going without him.  So moms, if they try to kick you out before you're ready to go, don't be afraid to say no.  

Visitors… I didn't get many so it wasn't a big deal.  But I remember hearing neighbors with visitors at all hours of the day.  Gifts and flowers are nice, but remember the parents have to bring all that stuff home.  And it's best to call ahead - mom may be nursing or sleeping, and you don't want to interrupt either.  

Sleep when you can, because you won't get that kind of help when you're home.  It's ok to ask the baby to go to the nursery for a couple of hours between feedings (especially if you're nursing) so you can get rest.  You need your strength and are no good to anyone without some rest.   You're not a bad mom if you ask for help!  That's a good thing!




No comments:

Post a Comment